Your home’s siding makes the first impression on guests, neighbors, and passersby. So you want it to look good! And choosing LP Smartside Siding is a great way to do that. Not only is LP Smartside durable and stunning, but it’s also easy to install.
If you’re looking for an easy and affordable way to improve the look of your home, installing LP Smartside siding is the perfect solution. This step-by-step guide will walk you through the installation process, so you can feel confident about tackling this project on your own.
The Outstanding Benefits of LP Smartside Siding
LP Smartside® is the premium choice for engineered wood siding. It’s the go-to choice for homeowners looking for something that looks as good as it performs. And for 40 years they’ve continued to innovate and improve on their products to become more efficient and durable than any other engineered wood siding on the market.
But there are many other reasons that homeowners continue to choose LP Smartside® as their primary option:
- It’s the easiest to install. Its lighter weight and ease of cutting make it easier to install than fiber cement or other heavier siding materials.
- It’s a time-tested and proven performance. LP Smartside can maintain 20+ years of superior performance.
- Manufactured with sustainable materials. LP Smartside® only acquires wood that has been certified by the Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI®).
- Have a realistic wood grain texture. Compared to other fiber cement or vinyl siding options, LP® looks more like natural wood grain than any other brand. So your home can look like you used the real thing!
- High impact-resistance. LP Smartside® strongly holds up to large debris with little to no damage. This includes any stray baseballs from the kids playing out back.
- More bang for your buck. LP Smartside® comes in longer lengths (16 inches) and has a broader surface which makes it more cost-effective and shows fewer seams than other siding materials.
- Great warranty offerings. LP® SmartSide®’s 50-year limited warranty is much longer than most other fiber cement product warranties.
Now that you know a few of the amazing benefits you’ll get upon completing your installation, let’s get into each step to get your home spruced up and ready to perform against the elements.
Tools Needed to Get the Job Done Right
Avoid a mid-installation trip to the hardware store and have these tools and materials on-hand, ready to go.
- Circular saw
- Framing square
- Ladder or scaffolding
- Power miter saw
- Pneumatic nail gun
- Pry bar
- Safety goggles
- Tape measure
- Caulking (exterior)
- Paint (exterior)
- Siding nails
- Wood Siding
- Wood trim boards
Now that you have all of your materials and tools ready, you can follow these steps to install your new LP® siding with ease.
5 Steps to Quickly and Efficiently Install Your LP® Smartside®
When it comes to installing your LP® Smartside®, you want to do it right. Improper installation can not only affect your siding’s ability to protect your home, but it can void warranties or damage the siding before it ever gets a chance to perform. So follow these steps and you should be in good shape.
Note: Prep your home first by making sure all old siding, caulk, and flashing is removed gently and your home has a clean, clear surface to begin.
Step 1: Install Flashing and Sealant on Windows, Doors, etc.
Before you install your new siding, you want to make sure flashing around your windows, doors, and other trim is secure. This may require replacing old flashing, or re-sealing certain parts. But without sealants around these critical areas, you risk leaks during heavy rains or strong winds.
This siding will be installed by butting right up to the trim of your windows and doors. So once they’re flashed, make sure to install trim that is thicker than your new engineered wood siding. The edge of the trim should sit slightly above the siding so it maintains that water barrier. Installing the trim first also allows you to get the right measurements and installation for your siding.
Step 2a: Cutting Your Siding
It’s vital to know how to properly cut your siding before you begin. With LP® Smartside®, you can easily cut through it as engineered wood is one of the softer materials for siding. Blades glide easily through and make nice even cuts.
To cut your siding to size, note these tips:
- Miter saws are ideal for crosscut or angled cuts
- Table saws work best for longer cuts like for your starter strip or for your window trim
- For smaller cuts like notches to get around a vent, utilize a jigsaw
Step 2b: Install Your Starter Strip
All siding and roofing jobs begin with a starter strip. The siding starter strip simulates the overlapping that takes place when all the siding is installed—each piece overlapping the one below it. The starter strip goes on the very bottom and helps to seal off that bottom piece from moisture, rodents, etc.
To install the starter strip you must:
- Cut a one-inch strip from your siding using your circular saw.
- Place it at the appropriate angle making sure it’s level and properly spaced.
- Follow your siding’s instructions if installing it over any materials like brick or concrete.
- Adhere it to your home making sure the nails go at least one-half inch into the studs.
Step 3: Install Your Remaining Siding (Bottom to Top)
Now that you have your starter strip in place, it’s time to install the rest of your siding. Start at the bottom and work your way up. Placing each piece tightly against the one below it, use a pneumatic nail gun to secure it in place (nails should be every six inches).
Step 4: Use Caulk at Joints and Trim
Once all of your siding is in place, use caulk to fill any gaps at the joints and around the trim. This will help create a watertight seal and protect from moisture infiltration. You can also use exterior paint to touch up any places that need it. And do your final check that everything is aligned and flush against the edges, trim, and flashing.
Choose a Team Experienced in LP® Smartside®
Don’t risk installing this siding incorrectly. Instead, trust the team that has worked with LP Smartside more times than we can count—First American Roofing & Siding. Our team is well versed in installing premium siding like LP® Smartside® and are happy to get you the home of your dreams with this outstanding siding.
Contact us to get the ball rolling on an inspection, estimate, and to dream up the best color for your new siding. We can’t wait to help!