Decks add space, beauty, and value to your home. Whether you want to create a small deck for entertaining or add a large patio to your home, it’s imperative that you do some research before you start the project or hire contractors.
It’s the details that determine whether your deck is an eyesore or a beloved family hangout area. From planning its size, shape, and location in your yard to finding the right materials for your deck, you have a lot of choices to make. But first, we’ll dive into why decking is an important feature to add to your house. And why MoistureShield Decking might be the right choice for you.
Why is Decking Important?
Decking is one of the most important parts of any home. Here are some of the benefits of installing a deck on your property:
- Adds value: Decking increases the usable space on your property. Whether you want to throw outdoor parties, have an outdoor barbecue, or simply relax and enjoy nature, you have more room to do so than before. This means that if you want to sell your home someday, it will be easier than ever before, and you can ask for more money.
- Enjoy nature: Decks are a great way to enjoy nature on your property. You’ll also be able to spend more time enjoying nature by having outdoor seating areas and fire pits that you can use year-round. It provides an ideal space for outdoor relaxation and entertaining.
- Functional: Decking is not only enjoyable and peaceful, but it’s also functional. Especially if you live in an area with a lot of snow during the winter, you can enjoy the outdoors and grill outside on your deck.
- Improve aesthetics: A beautiful deck can make your house look incredible, which is why many homeowners choose to install one or have theirs updated.
- Inexpensive: Compared to most other installations to your home, having a deck installed is relatively inexpensive. For example, while redoing a kitchen will likely cost upwards of $30,000, installing a deck will most likely cost somewhere around $7,500.
- Low maintenance: Finally, decking is low maintenance and easy to clean. This means that it won’t cost much or take much work to keep up with cleaning your deck throughout the year. You’ll spend less time worrying about its upkeep and more time enjoying its benefits.
Now that you know why decking is important, it’s time to think about the materials that your deck will be made of. While many people believe wood is the only option, you can also choose MoistureShield Composite Decking.
Wood Decking Vs. MoistureShield Composite Decking
Here is a comparison of both materials, which will help you make your final decision.
When you think of a deck, you probably think of wood. It’s a classic choice, and every deck looks like it’s made of wood. Many decks in the United States are made of cedar, redwood, and pine lumber. Exotic wood species you can choose from include seasoned mahogany, tiger wood, and ipe.
While wood is a common choice, there are several disadvantages of this decking surface:
- Absorbs moisture: Wood decking readily absorbs water, which means it requires regular maintenance, or it will eventually warp, splinter, crack, and rot.
- Requires maintenance: Again, wood decking requires regular maintenance to avoid damage.
- Prone to insect damage: Wood is prone to damage from insects, such as termites.
- Prone to rodent damage: Rodents can also pose a risk to wood decking materials.
- Eventually splinters: All wood decking eventually splinters, no matter how much maintenance and upkeep you’ve performed over the years.
Investing in wood deck boards requires a lot of maintenance, and damage is usually inevitable, meaning you’ll eventually have to replace it. The only pro is that generally, it’s less expensive to install. Longterm, you’ll probably end up paying more when you have to replace it again, though.
MoistureShield Composite Decking
MoistureShield Composite Decking was invented in the late 1980s. The material is made of wood fibers encased in plastic. It was created to look and feel exactly like original wood while, at the same time, helping homeowners avoid many of the issues that happen with wood decks.
Here are the pros of choosing MoistureShield Composite Decking:
- Resists moisture and decay: This material is fully moisture-resistant, which allows them to exist in high-moisture environments without any decay.
- Requires little maintenance: Since composite decking materials are resistant to decay, your new deck will require very little maintenance besides sweeping and washing.
- Resists pest damage: Composite deck boards are resistant to pest damage from rodents or insects, even without upkeep and maintenance.
- Won’t splinter: Composite wood doesn’t splinter, even in inclement weather.
- Easy to work with: Composite decking boards are easier to bend and shape to your liking.
- Temperature: This material actually reduces heat absorption, meaning no more burning feet in the summertime.
Composite decking offers a host of benefits, and while these materials are usually more expensive, your deck will end up paying for itself. That’s because you won’t have to maintain your deck or install a new one eventually. While there’s a higher upfront cost, it’s an investment that pays off in the long run.
Benefits of MoistureShield Composite Decking
To review, here are the benefits of choosing composite decking brands versus real wood:
- Appearance: MoistureShield Composite Decking materials are just as beautiful as real hardwood.
- Maintenance: You’ll have that real hardwood look without the maintenance. You won’t have to paint or stain the composite decking boards.
- Moisture: The material is moisture resistant, meaning if you live in an environment with a lot of rain or snow, your deck will be fine.
- Durability: Your deck will resist rotting, warping, splintering, and pest damage.
- Workability: Can easily be worked to fit into any space.
- Temperature: Prevents heat absorption.
- Slip-resistant: Composite wood has slip resistance.
- Stain-resistant: MoistureShield Composite Decking often comes with stain warranties, plus it’s stain-resistant.
- Price: You’ll face higher upfront costs, but this deck will pay off over time.
- Unique: No two composite decks will look the same. You’ll have a truly unique deck for you and your family, that is just as beautiful as real wood.
Synthetic materials are increasingly common, and for good reason. They offer a lot of benefits, so it would be a really smart choice to choose MoistureShield Composite decking when you get your decking installed. You’ll end up with a deck that is extremely long lasting, and very low maintenance.
We believe MoistureShield Decking products are the best of the best. Not only are they made well, but the company offers many beautiful options for your deck. Plus, with the great warranty that lasts up to 30 or 50 years, you truly cannot find a better product.
They’re Environmentally-Friendly Materials
Another reason we love MoistureShield Decking is that the brand is environmentally-friendly. If you’re looking to reduce your environmental footprint, MoistureShield Decking is a great choice because its composites are made with 95% recycled content. This helps keep harmful plastics, including milk jugs, water bottles, and grocery bags, out of landfills that are already too full.
Get the Composite Deck of your Dreams
Now that you’ve learned all of the benefits of choosing composite wood, it’s time to start thinking about installation. At First American, we proudly offer composite decks to our customers that are completely customizable.
We work with high-quality composite materials from reputable decking companies, including MoistureShield Composite Decking, ensuring your new composite deck is durable and stunning.
Get a free estimate today, and take your new deck idea from dream to reality.