Gutter systems often become riddled with pine needles, shingle grit, and other debris during rainy months, especially when the system lacks a gutter cover. Gutter cleaning can be dangerous and dirty, which is why you need the best gutter guards for pine needles. See our top picks for gutter guards below.
How Pine Needles Can Impact Your Gutter System
Pine needles typically start falling from pine trees in September and continue to drop until late November or even December in warmer climates. Without a gutter guard installed, pine needles (along with other large debris) can penetrate your existing gutters, rendering them useless and putting your roof shingles and house foundation at risk of water damage.
Gutter Guards Can Give Your Greater Protection
Leaf guards or gutter guards work to stop pesky pine needles from passing through your gutter system and creating blockages. Purchasing gutter guards can protect you from not just pine needles but other large and small debris that’s often deposited during heavy rain as well, including:
- Leaves 🍃
- Twigs 🌳
- Sand, dirt, and dust 🏝
- Shingle granules 🏚
With a gutter guard installation, no longer will you have to climb up on your roof or a tall ladder to clean out blocked gutters.
Types of Gutter Guards
Homeowners have several gutter guard options to stop pine needle penetration. Here’s a short breakdown of different gutter guard systems:
Screen Gutter Guards
Screen guards use a plastic or wire grid to block leaves and other debris. Screen gutter guards are:
- ✅ Easy to install without any tools
- 🚫 Can easily dislodge
- 🚫 May void roof warranty with installation
Micro Mesh Gutter Guards
Micro mesh gutter guard systems are available in a range of materials, including plastic and stainless steel micro mesh. Micro mesh gutter guards are another decent option because they:
- ✅ Allow water to flow through the system quickly
- ✅ Stop twigs, leaves, pine needles, and other large debris
- 🚫 Are less effective at blocking smaller debris particles
- 🚫 You might have to clean gutter guards with a hose sprayer annually
- 🚫 Can sometimes be visible from below
You might be familiar with brush guards because they memorably resemble oversized pipe cleaners. These are a pretty popular pick to block pine needles because they:
- ✅ Are cheap and found in-store
- ✅ Can be installed yourself
- ✅ Cut or bend to fit any gutter or bracket junction
- 🚫 Require some cleaning and maintenance to keep working
Foam Gutter Guards
Another simple, cut-to-size DIY solution is foam. Foam gutter guards:
- ✅ Block pine needles and large debris
- ✅ Stop super fine debris, thanks to their similarity to the average household dish sponge
- ✅ Are incredibly cheap and budget-friendly
Reverse Curve Gutter Guards
Last is reverse curve systems, which aren’t the best gutter guard or the least noticeable. 👎 These systems are fairly outdated and can be difficult or time-consuming to maintain. Many homeowners choose other guards over these systems.
7 Best Gutter Guards for Pine Needles (According to the Pros) 🏆
We lined up a pre-vetted list of the 7 best systems from top gutter guard providers according to professional opinions. Many of these products come with impressive lifetime warranties and are made with durable, easily maintained materials. We’ve always picked products with a range of prices so everyone can find the perfect fit.
Click through each link to see the specs:
- RainDrop Pro Gutter Guard
- GutterBrush Simple Gutter Guard
- Raptor Gutter Guard
- LeafFilter Gutter Protection
- MasterShield Gutter Protection
- HomeCraft Gutter Protection
- All American Gutter Protection
What to Consider When Choosing a Gutter Guard System
When selecting a gutter guard for your home, keep the following factors in mind:
- Material – Gutter guards come in various materials, including stainless steel, copper, aluminum, plastic, or foam. Find out what works best for your gutter system’s size, base material, and budget before deciding.
- Size – You’ll find that gutter guard systems come in a standard set of sizes: 4, 5, and 6 inches, with 5″ being the most prevalent. Measure the length and width of your gutters to determine just how much material you’ll need.
- Visibility/Appearance – Some guards are easily seen from street view, while others are virtually invisible. What you choose all hinges on personal preference and desired price point.
- Warranty – Look for a gutter guard company that offers a warranty, so you have backup if anything happens down the line.
- Installation – Some systems can be installed yourself, while other gutter guards are a bit more complex, requiring a professional to complete the installation process.
Get Professional Installation of Top Gutter Guards Today
Are you tired of constant gutter cleaning and endlessly clogged gutters because pine needles keep piling up? Get the gutter protection you need from a roofing company you can trust — us!
First American is proud to offer professional installation of the best gutter guards to block pine needles, all at a competitive price. Keeping pine needles at bay has never been easier, so talk with our trusted team today.