Question for you:
When you come home after a long day of work, what feeling does the sight of your home inspire in you? Are you happy? Relaxed? Or does seeing your house remind you of all the home improvement projects you need to take on?
The exterior of your home matters. Many people spend endless hours making sure that the interior of their homes works with their personal style, but few give equal attention to the exterior of their homes.
There are lots of reasons why investing in new siding is beneficial for your home, including:
- Boosting curb appeal
- Increasing your resale value
- Providing better protection against the elements
But when it comes to choosing a siding style, many homeowners feel overwhelmed by the sheer number of siding choices. Our personal favorite option? Stone veneer siding. However, what works for us might not work for you! That’s why we’ll be explaining the pros and cons of different siding materials, as well as the advantages of installing stone veneer siding. Keep reading to learn more!
Why Siding Matters
What’s the big deal with exterior siding, anyway? Isn’t it just there to keep your home looking nice?
Nope! Siding has many functional benefits. And, sure, looking nice is one of them. Here are just a few of the things siding is responsible for:
- Protection Against Water Damage – Water may not seem like much of a threat, but when it comes to your home, water can be public enemy #1! Water can erode the existing structure of your home, cause mold growth, and create a fire hazard when it interacts with electrical wiring. Quality siding can help you to keep water out of your home.
- Insulation – Siding is an important factor when it comes to insulating your home. Proper insulation will help to keep heating and cooling costs low and improve your home’s energy efficiency.
- Curb Appeal – Curb appeal isn’t just a source of pride. It can also help you get more money in the long run! New siding is very attractive for prospective home buyers and can help to increase your home’s overall resale value.
7 Siding Styles to Consider
Homeowners have no shortage of options when it comes to siding styles and materials! Here are some of the most popular options on the market.
1) Vinyl Siding
The overwhelming majority of homes have vinyl siding, and it is not hard to see why. It’s a hugely versatile material that can be purchased in virtually any color you want!
It should be noted, though, that vinyl siding is not the most durable and is vulnerable to impact damage. As it is one of the most affordable options, though, replacing your siding won’t hurt homeowners on a strict budget.
2) Composite Siding
Composite siding is great when you are looking for a durable product. Lasting for up to 30 years, it has a lifespan that is twice as long as vinyl siding! However, expect the price tag to drastically increase when you choose this siding style.
3) Wood Siding
Wood siding is a fail-safe choice for those looking for a beautiful and timeless home. Wood siding stands up fairly well to impact damage but is more susceptible to wood rot and other forms of water damage. You’ll have to make sure to properly maintain your siding in order to ensure it lasts.
4) Metal Siding
Metal siding is very durable but has a distinct look that may not appeal to every homeowner. It stands up very well to fire, bugs, and changing temperatures but is definitely on the higher end of the price scale.
5) Fiber Cement Siding
Fiber cement is a luxurious siding material that combines the best of both worlds. Not only is it beautiful and available in a wide range of colors and finishes, but it is also hugely durable. It is perfect for homeowners who are looking to sell in the near future, as this rather expensive material has an excellent ROI.
6) Brick Siding
Brick siding adds instant character to any home and never goes out of style. Bricks themselves are quite durable and eco-friendly, but the mortar will require upkeep in order to keep the structure of your siding working properly. Luckily, faux stone siding in a brick pattern is also available to help keep costs and maintenance levels down.
7) Stone Veneer Siding
Last but not least, we have to include stone veneer siding! Combining the best of durability, aesthetics, and timelessness, it’s the perfect choice for the homeowner who wants it all.
Why We Love Stone Veneer Siding
What is it about stone veneer siding that we like so much? Where do we even start?
Stone houses have been around for years, but with the invention of cheaper materials like vinyl, it has fallen out of popularity. Which we think is a shame because it comes with many benefits, including:
- Longevity – Real stone siding has amazing longevity and can last for over a century!
- Nature Proof – When your exterior house siding is made of natural stone siding, you are creating an exterior that can stand up to rain, snow, hail, blistering temps, and pests. Think about it! If a stone can withstand all that Mother Nature throws its way, why can’t it do it as part of your home?
- Faux Options Available – It has to be said that stone veneer siding is expensive. That’s why many homeowners opt for artificial stone veneer siding, which offers all of the aesthetic appeals without the big price tag.
Of course, stone veneer does come with some downsides. Namely, the fact that it requires specialized installation from a contractor who is familiar with the material.
Get a Professional’s Opinion
Looking to install stone veneer on your home’s exterior? First American Roofing can help! As your local home exterior experts, we’ll help you to find a siding style that matches your home’s particular needs. Contact us today to receive your free estimate!